Bushfires – Booyong Closed until further notice

After a harrowing week, we have decided that it would be best to not take new bookings at Booyong over the Summer period (December – February). Brett and I were at the property last week and we were and continue to be surrounded by bushfires, the closest being only 12 km’s away. It is incredibly smoky and ash and burnt leaves were floating through the air. The safety of our guests is a high priority, and this cannot be guaranteed during this high fire danger period.
The conservation area is littered in leaves due to the long drought and should embers appear it would take very little for the bush surrounding us to become alight. We have fire hoses in place; however, the dams are low and water supply is limited.

We would like to express our gratitude to the local community and fire fighters who are doing their best to ensure people and property are protected. The courage and bravery they are showing and will continue to show is inspiring. The local area has been deeply affected, with friends experiencing voluntary evacuations and local homes and livestock at risk. We are so grateful to be a part of such a caring and supportive community. Volunteer firefighters have left their jobs and families to fight fires and the summer season ahead is going to be long, with little rain predicted.

The threat to local flora and fauna is devastating. As we think of the sugar gliders, koalas, birds, wallabies, kangaroos, goannas and other animals who call Booyong and the surrounding bushland home, we hope that our Conservation is spared, and we soon get rain to assist in its rejuvenation. We know that seasons change and once again the rainforest will be lush and green, and the creeks will flow again.

We won’t continue to be idle during this period and have as always, many farm projects and research under way. We thank you for your support and concern during this challenging time, your messages and concern have been appreciated. Please follow our Facebook page to stay abreast of where we’re at and we will let you know as soon as we can when we are once again open for holiday bookings. Hopefully we will get some rain soon and the crisis will be averted.

We hope you and your families stay safe over this period – Brett and Michelle